How to Play Drums in 14 Days: Daily Drumset Lessons for Beginners” is an instructional book aimed at individuals who have little to no experience with drumming. Authored by an experienced drummer, the book promises to provide a comprehensive foundation for beginners in just 14 days. By following the structured lessons and practice routines outlined in the book, readers are expected to gain essential drumming skills and techniques.
Table of Contents:
- Book Overview
- Content and Structure
- a. Section 1: Drumming Basics
- b. Section 2: Essential Techniques
- c. Section 3: Expanding Your Skills
- d. Section 4: Applying Rhythms and Grooves
- Writing Style and Clarity
- Visuals and Illustrations
- Effectiveness of Learning Approach
- Pros and Cons
- Conclusion: A Comprehensive Guide for Beginner Drummers
- FAQ Section
How To Play Drums In 14 Days Introduction:
“How to Play Drums in 14 Days: Daily Drumset Lessons for Beginners,” is authored by renowned drummer and educator, Ben Hans. He provides aspiring drummers with a step-by-step (day-by-day) approach to mastering the art of drumming.
With its promise of learning drums within 14 days, this guide has garnered significant attention from beginners and those eager to embark on their musical journey. In this review, we will delve into the book’s content, structure, writing style, visual aids, learning approach, and present both the positive aspects and potential drawbacks.
Although the book isn’t divided into the four sections I suggest in the above table of contents, I believe that is the aim of the book. To enable the beginner to build those skills over the 14 days. Instead, the book has an introduction to drumming and the techniques in the book, followed by a 14 day exercise plan to learn the specific exercises, with a weekly review of the contents.
Content and Structure:
Although the “How to Play Drums in 14 Days” book isn’t divided into the four sections I suggest in the above table of contents, I believe that is the aim of the book. To enable the beginner to build those skills over the 14 days. Instead, the book has an introduction to drumming and the techniques in the book, followed by a 14 day exercise plan to learn the specific exercises, with a weekly review of the contents.
The basic outline of which, is:
- Time Signatures & Rhythms
- Snare Drum Rudiments
- Essential Beats
- Tom Fills
- Signature Grooves
- Bass Drum Patterns
- Limb Independence
- Hi-Hat & Cymbal Techniques
As suggested, I see the book as containing four sections, so let’s explore each section in detail:
- Section 1: Drumming Basics. This section serves as a solid introduction to the instrument, covering topics such as drumset and stick basics, holding the sticks, fundamentals of music, and a useful notation legend. The author provides clear explanations and uses diagrams to ensure readers grasp these fundamental concepts before moving forward into Day 1.
- Section 2: Essential Techniques. Through a day-by-day approach, the author takes the beginner on a journey of building a foundation of skills and explores essential drumming techniques, expanding on these as the days progress. The author incorporates exercises and practice routines, gradually increasing the complexity to help reading drummers to develop their skills.
- Section 3: Expanding Your Skills. In this section, the author introduces more advanced techniques and concepts as the days go on. All building up to the final day. Topics covered include Jazz Ride Cymbal Patterns, The Shuffle Feel, Triplet Rhythms,12/8 Time and more. The book’s progression ensures that readers are continually challenged and encouraged to push their boundaries.
- Section 4: Applying Rhythms and Grooves. The final perceived section focuses on applying the acquired skills to play various rhythms and grooves becoming quite complex for the complete beginner. The author presents different musical styles such as rock and jazz styles throughout the 14 days, guiding readers through the process of understanding and playing drum beats that could belong in both camps. Over all, this section (the second week) provides an opportunity for readers to develop their musicality and adaptability as drummers.
As I said the book is presented in a series of daily lessons that build on each other as the days go on. But I prefer to look at this book in sections as I believe that may help to remove some of the overwhelm that may occur for the complete beginner.
But that’s just my personal view which should in no way detract the beginner from buying and using this book. I still believe it has great value to the beginner. But I am thinking of a beginner who has been playing drums for a year or more.
At which point, this book really helps the drummer to get to grips with reading music rather than learning how to play the drums.
Writing Style and Clarity:
The author employs an active voice throughout the book, which enhances the clarity and readability of the content. Instructions and explanations are concise, allowing readers to easily grasp the concepts being presented.
The use of transition words ensures smooth flow and logical progression from one topic to another. By maintaining a conversational tone, the author establishes a connection with readers, making the learning process more engaging and enjoyable.
Visuals and Illustrations:
“How to Play Drums in 14 Days” incorporates a range of visual aids to complement the written instructions and exercises. The book features high-quality images, diagrams, and musical notations, effectively enhancing the learning experience.
The visuals help readers visualize proper drumming techniques, hand positioning, drum kit setup, and music notation, reinforcing the information provided in the text.
Effectiveness of Learning Approach:
The book’s structured approach and 14-day timeframe provide a clear roadmap for beginners. By breaking down the learning process into manageable daily lessons, the author ensures steady progress.
The practice routines and exercises are thoughtfully designed to reinforce the concepts covered, allowing readers to gradually build their skills. The step-by-step approach is particularly beneficial for individuals who prefer a well-defined learning path.
Pros and Cons:
As with any instructional book, there are advantages and potential drawbacks to consider:
- Comprehensive coverage of drumming basics, techniques, and musical styles.
- Structured 14-day plan with daily lessons and practice routines.
- Clear instructions and concise explanations enhance understanding.
- Engaging writing style and use of visuals.
- Suitable for beginners with no prior drumming experience (?).
- Limited emphasis on music theory, which may be important for some learners.
- Lack of interactive multimedia elements, such as accompanying videos.
A Comprehensive Guide for Beginner Drummers
In conclusion, “How to Play Drums in 14 Days: Daily Drumset Lessons for Beginners” is a well-crafted instructional book that effectively introduces readers to the art of drumming.
The book’s structured approach, clear explanations, and engaging writing style make it an excellent resource for individuals who are new to drumming. By diligently following the provided lessons and practice routines, beginners can expect to develop a solid drumming skills within 14 days.
Q1: Does this book require any prior drumming experience?
A: No, the book is specifically designed for beginners with no previous drumming experience. It covers all the essential basics and gradually progresses to more advanced techniques. However, in my opinion, the book gets too complex too soon and becomes more about learning to read music than playing drums.
I may be bias but my own rock drumming foundation and development books should be mastered before taking on the contents of “How to Play Drums in 14 Days.” I just believe the author has someone in mind who already knows how to play. At least to a degree.
Q2: Can I really learn to play drums in 14 days?
A: While the book provides a structured 14-day plan, individual progress may vary. Mastery of the drums requires consistent practice and dedication beyond the suggested timeframe. The 14-day plan serves as a guideline to ensure steady progress.
Q3: Are there any supplementary resources or materials provided with the book?
A: The book itself does not include supplementary video resources but does include streamed audio tracks.
Q4: Is music theory covered in the book?
A: While the book focuses primarily on drumming techniques, it provides a basic understanding of music theory as it relates to drumming. However, individuals seeking in-depth music theory instruction may need to supplement their learning with additional resources. But that can usually be said of many beginner as well as advanced drumming books. It all depends on your drumming goals and what you want to achieve as a drummer.
Q5: Is this book suitable for children?
A: The book’s content and language are suitable for learners of all ages. However, young children may require additional guidance and supervision to ensure proper technique as well as understanding while learning and playing the drums.
Q6: Can I continue using this book beyond the initial 14-day period?
A: Absolutely! The book lays a strong foundation for drumming and serves as a valuable reference even after completing the 14-day plan. It is recommended to revisit sections and exercises for continued skill development. And understand that the 14 day program may take several weeks to play absolutely perfect. Even for a more experienced beginner.
Remember, learning to play the drums requires patience, persistence, and consistent practice. “How to Play Drums in 14 Days: Daily Drumset Lessons for Beginners” provides an excellent starting point for aspiring drummers and offers a comprehensive path to build a solid foundation in the art of drumming.